Slimming World was founded in 1969 by Margaret Miles-Bramwell, who remains the driving force behind the company to this day. It is one of the most popular diet plans with over 5,500 groups held on a weekly basis throughout the UK.
Groups are run by consultants all of whom are former members of Slimming World who have undergone training after succeeding with their weight loss meal plans. You pay a one off membership fee and then a small fee for each class.
Type - Low Fat Diet Plans
Are special products required - No
Is eating out possible? - Yes
Is the plan family friendly? - Yes
Do you have to buy a book? - No
Is the diet easy to maintain? - Yes
So how does it work?...
The programme is based on a principle called ‘food optimizing’ which is designed to guide you towards selecting weight loss foods in order to promote good health.
Foods are divided into three groups:
• Free foods – can be eaten in unlimited quantities
• Healthy extras – includes calcium and fibre rich foods. These are portion controlled and you are given a daily allowance from this group to ensure a well balanced diet
• Sins – foods such as chocolate, crisps and alcohol. You can eat a certain number of sins every day depending on your weight and weight loss goals
The Diet Plan...
Within the Slimming World food optimizing programme, you can select one of two diet plans: the green choice or the original choice. On the green choice plan, the free foods are fruits, vegetables, certain low fat dairy products (such as low fat yogurt and cottage cheese) and carbohydrates such as pasta, rice and potatoes.
On the original choice plan, the free foods are fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy products, meat, poultry and fish, and carbohydrates are allocated to the ‘healthy extras’ group. You can choose whether to follow just the green plan or you can alternate between the green plan and the original plan. The food optimizing programme automatically limits calorie intake by guiding you towards selecting weight loss foods that will make you feel full and satiated.
Is it good for you?...
Slimming World offer a flexible and easy to follow set of weight loss meal plans. These enable you to make healthy choices that will help you to manage your weight without having to follow a restrictive diet. Unlike other diet plans, Slimming World doesn’t involve any calorie counting or weighing of food. And, because the foods that are designated free foods can be eaten in unlimited quantities, you should never need to feel hungry.
In addition to dietary management the programme includes advice about modifying your behaviour and increasing your activity levels. If you attend the classes you will also have the benefit of group support and motivation.
• Half a small melon
• Fresh strawberries and raspberries
• Slices of wholemeal bread toasted and topped with baked beans • A poached egg
• A large jacket potato filled with canned tuna in brine mixed with sweetcorn and reduced calorie mayonnaise
• A large mixed salad
• Fresh pineapple and mango with very low fat plain yogurt
• Fusilli pasta with a chunky sauce made with tomatoes, aubergines, courgettes, peppers, celery, garlic, herbs and spices
• Fresh fruit
• Crackers with cheese triangles
• Fun size chocolate bar
• Two measures of any spirit served with a diet mixer