The 90 10 Weight Loss Plan

The 90 10 Weight Loss Plan is one of the low calorie diet plans. It is high in fibre, phytochemicals, and antioxidants and low in saturated fat. The title refers to the concept of eating healthily 90 per cent of the time; while for the other 10 per cent you can enjoy ‘fun foods’.

Type - Portion Control diets

Are special products required? - No

Is eating out possible? - No

Is the plan family friendly? - Yes

Do you have to buy a book? - Yes

Is the diet easy to maintain? - No

So how does it work...

On this 14 day plan, which may be repeated until you achieve your goal weight, you lose weight by limiting your calorie intake to between 1,200 and 1,600 calories daily, depending on your current weight and activity level. The 90 10 Weight Loss Plan states that ninety per cent of each day’s calories should come from the menus provided, and the remaining ten per cent from a list of ‘fun foods’.

This is one of the portion control diets and so by allowing the foods we often crave; it encourages you to eat those foods in moderate amounts. Physical activity is emphasized as an important component in losing weight and in keeping it off.

The author, Joy Bauer, claims that you may lose up to 4.5kg (10lbs) in the first two weeks but admits that much of that is usually water loss; in subsequent weeks, 250-900g (1/2 – 2lbs) is average. The author discourages quicker weight loss as being unsafe and running the risk of losing lean muscle mass.

The Diet Plan...

In the 90 10 Weight Loss Plan you follow a daily menu, which includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Each day you choose one item from the list of fun foods or snacks. This may be eaten at any time during the day.

Calorie counting is not necessary if you follow the menus, but the calorie range for each meal is given in case you are not able to follow the menus provided. Like some of the best weight loss plans the plan offers menus for 14 days, and additional main course alternatives are suggested to lend diversity to the plan. Multivitamin and calcium supplements are recommended, and the programme encourages you to drink plenty of water, coffee, tea, and soda water.

Before you begin the 90 10 Weight Loss Plan , the author suggests taking a ‘before’ photograph, writing down your clothing size and body measurements, and, if possible, having your body fat measured. She then recommends repeating this process two weeks later, so that you can track your progress in other ways besides weight.

Is it good for you?...

The 90 10 Weight Loss Plan is based on the interesting concept of eating healthily for 90 per cent of the time and then being allowed to ‘cheat’ for the remainder. The menus are designed to be low in saturated fat and high in fibre, phytochemicals and antioxidants.

The problem with many portion control diets is that even if you substitute some of the other dinner plans provided, this diet may become monotonous. This is because you are asked to repeat the menu repertoire every two weeks for as long as it takes to achieve your target weight loss.

The 1,200 calories per day diet included in the book is very restrictive meaning that unlike the best weight loss plans few will be able to follow it successfully for an extended period of time. The book includes tips for subsequent weight maintenance, but it could be more instructive in teaching you how to determine sensible portion sizes and how to make healthy meal choices, especially when you are eating out.

Example Day...

• Wholegrain waffle with fresh berries

• Cottage cheese with a fresh fruit salad

• Spinach lasagne
• Green salad with olive oil and vinegar dressing

• Muesli bar or cereal bar
• Crisps (fun food)

Return to Portion Control Homepage

Return to Diet Plans Homepage